201602.05.16 LEICA SL voted the ‘Best Premium Camera’ at the 2016 TIPA Awards The Leica SL mirrorless camera system has been honoured with the 2016 TIPA Award as the ‘Best Premium Camera’. Launched in October 2015, the Leica SL convinced an international jury of editors from leading photographic magazines with the new standards it sets in terms of speed, imaging performance, versatility and innovation in best Leica quality. The presentation of the TIPA Awards, now in its 26th year, will take place on 20 September 2016 in the course of the photokina fair in Cologne.
- 29.04.16 New firmware updates for Leica M cameras are now available Leica Camera AG has released new firmware updates for the current models of the Leica M family. Registered camera owners can now download firmware version 126.96.36.199 for the Leica M/M-P (Typ 240), firmware version 188.8.131.52 for the Leica M (Typ 262) and firmware version 184.108.40.206 for the Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) from the Leica website (www.leica-camera.com) or take their camera to a Leica Store for a free update and receive answers to any questions they may have.
- 28.04.16 LEICA M-D – the new digital Leica rangefinder without a monitor screen With the Leica M-D (Typ 262), Leica Camera AG adds a further model to the Leica rangefinder system. Together with the Leica M and M-P (Typ 240), the Leica M (Typ 262) and the Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246), this increases the number of digital M-Generation cameras to five. The Leica M-D is the first serial production model of the digital M family to be made without a monitor screen. The usual location of the screen on the back of the camera is now taken by the ISO sensitivity setting dial – one of the few, but essential, features of the camera.
- 15.04.16 Leica Galleries donating all profits from Lenny Kravitz FLASH exhibition to nonprofit organization 100Cameras The Leica Galleries, Lenny Kravitz, Berlin-based art advisor and international agent Reiner Opoku and Ostlicht Gallery in Vienna, Austria are donating $25,000 in proceeds from the Lenny Kravitz – FLASH exhibit to 100Cameras, a nonprofit organization teaching marginalized children from across the globe to create change in their community through photography. The FLASH exhibit, which was on display during the December Art Basel Miami Beach fair, included a selection of 50 photographs taken by Kravitz with his Leica camera. The profits from the exhibit will be donated to 100Cameras to help support their next international project, Project006, and the organization’s Snapshot Project platform.
- 15.04.16 Leica Cine Discovery Prize for newcomers in the world of short films Leica Camera AG is an official partner of La Semaine de la Critique du Festival de Cannes (taking place from 11 to 22 May 2016), one of the most influential film festivals in the world. Leica Camera AG and its subsidiary CW Sonderoptic GmbH are official sponsors of the Leica Cine Discovery Prize, which will be awarded as part of La Semaine de la Critique on 19 May and is endowed with a prize in the amount of 4,000 euros. With this prize, the two companies recognise young talents to the world of short films.
- 14.04.16 New firmware update 2.0 improves the performance and handling concept of the Leica SL The firmware update 2.0 is now available for the mirrorless Leica SL camera system launched in October 2015. Registered camera owners can log in to the Leica Owner’s Area (https://owners.leica-camera.com) and download the new firmware or take advantage of the opportunity to have their camera brought up to date by the free update installation service offered in all Leica Stores.
- 13.04.16 Leica Pinmaster II Pro Leica Sport Optics has announced a brand new, premium model in its iconic laser rangefinder series designed specifically for golfers: the Leica Pinmaster II Pro.
- 06.04.16 Leica S (Typ 007) Firmware-Update 220.127.116.11 with new features Leica Camera AG, Wetzlar, has released a new firmware update for the Leica S (Typ 007) camera. Registered camera users can now log in to the Leica owners’ area and download the firmware version 18.104.22.168 (https://owners.leica-camera.com) or take their camera to a Leica Store for a free update and receive answers to any questions they may have.
- 22.03.16 LEICA SUMMILUX-TL 35 mm f/1.4 ASPH. - the new reference lens in the APS-C segment is available from today As of now, the portfolio of lenses for the Leica T camera system has a new addition – the Leica Summilux-TL 35 mm f/1.4 ASPH. This extremely fast prime lens with the classic focal length is considered to be the reference lens in the APS-C segment. With a performance profile superior to all comparable lenses in every respect, it exploits the full potential of modern camera systems.
- 16.03.16 New telephoto zoom lens for the Leica SL-System: Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90–280 mm f/2.8-4 The latest addition to the Leica SL-System lens portfolio, the Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90–280 mm f/2.8-4, is now on sale. This fast telephoto zoom lens offers a range of focal lengths that follows on directly from the already available Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24–90 mm f/2.8–4 ASPH. lens. Together, these two lenses cover a range of focal lengths extending from 24 to 280 mm and guarantee the versatility photographers need for a wide range of subjects and situations.