201709.08.17 Norwegian photographer Terje Abusdal wins the Leica Oskar Barnack Award 2017 with his long-term project titled ‘Slash & Burn’ The winners of this year’s long-established and internationally acclaimed Leica Oskar Barnack Award (LOBA) photographic competition have been chosen. In the main category, ‘Leica Oskar Barnack Award’, Norwegian photographer Terje Abusdal convinced the five members of the jury with his impressive long-term project titled ‘Slash & Burn’. In the category ‘Leica Oskar Barnack Award Newcomer’ for up-and-coming professional photographers aged up to 25, Sergey Melnitchenko from the Ukraine won through against around 800 other candidates with his portfolio ‘Behind the Scenes’.
- 10.07.17 Leica Camera presents the Leica TL2: Perfected features and persuasive performance meet unique design Based on the Leica TL-System, which has been continuously advanced in terms of speed, ease of handling and flexibility since its market launch, the new Leica TL2 embraces all the perfected features and leads the innovative camera concept into a new generation with additional innovations and new design aspects. The particular hallmark of the Leica TL2 is the unusual design of its compact body. Each camera body is precisely machined from a single block of aluminium in the Leica factory. The use of premium materials and their engineering in an elaborate manufacturing process are unique in the history of camera construction and lend the Leica TL2 an unmistakeable look, feel and solidity.
- 22.06.17 Leica Sport Optics is offering a new „Travel Package“ Leica Sport Optics is offering a new “Travel Package” consisting of the Leica APO-Televid 65 W, the Leica Vario-eyepiece 25-50x WW ASPH., the Gitzo tripod and the Gitzo 2-way fluid head. For the customer the purchase of this high-quality bundle means considerable savings on the RSP of each individual item.
‘Leica Oskar Barnack Award’: The twelve finalists of the prestigious international photographic competition have been chosen
The twelve finalists of this year’s Leica Oskar Barnack Award (LOBA) have been chosen. The complete portfolios from the categories ‘Leica Oskar Barnack Award’ and ‘Leica Oskar Barnack Award Newcomer’ can now be viewed at www.leica-oskar-barnack-award.com. Around 2,700 photographers from a total of 104 different countries submitted entries to the LOBA 2017.
- 08.06.17 The 31st Westlicht Photographica Auction on June 10 2017 once again offers numerous historic Leica rarities The 31st Westlicht Photographica Auction begins at 11 a.m. on 10 June 2017 in Vienna, Austria. The 244 lots include numerous Leica products and exciting rarities. These include, for example, a very early Leica I with an Elmax lens (Lot 1) from 1925.
- 31.05.17 Now available for the Leica SL-System: new Firmware Update 3.0 with extensive improvements for an even better workflow Firmware version 3.0 is now available free of charge for the Leica SL-System. The update significantly reduces the time required for saving RAW data files to SD memory cards. The speed, accuracy and handling of the autofocus system have been considerably improved. The firmware update also includes updates for the Leica Vario-Elmarit–SL 24–90 mm f/2.8–4 ASPH. and the Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90–280 mm f/2.8-4. lenses. The range of functions in photo and video modes as been comprehensively expanded. Independent of this new firmware, updates are also available for the Leica Image Shuttle software (Mac; Win), the Adobe®Lightroom® Tethered Plugin (Mac; Win) and the Leica SL App (iOS; Android).
- 31.05.17 Laura Ferrés receives the ‘Leica Cine Discovery Prize’ awarded by Leica Camera AG and CW Sonderoptic GmbH Leica Camera AG and CW Sonderoptic GmbH are proud to congratulate the winner of the La Semaine de la Critique short film competition and recipient of the Leica Cine Discovery Prize. Laura Ferrés, director of "Los Desheredados”, was awarded the top honors by the jury and will receive the €4000 prize. “Los Desheredados” is a portrait of the director's father facing the end of his family business. Lack of money forces him to drive clients who destroy his vehicle to bachelor parties, but he is not prepared to lose his dignity.
- 22.05.17 Leica Camera supports Sky Arts’ search for the ‘Master of Photography’ 2017 Following the enormous success of the first season, the new round of the Sky Arts TV talent show ‘Master of Photography’ will be aired from 25 May 2017 on Sky Arte HD in Italy, on Sky Arts in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland and on Sky Arts HD in Germany and Austria. In this second season, Leica Camera AG makes a return appearance as the show’s exclusive technical provider. The aim of this unique international production is to promote all aspects of creative photography on television.
- 18.05.17 Ninth issue of S Magazine shows the diversity of professional and contemporary Leica photography The expertise and creativity of numerous globally acclaimed photographers has been documented in previous issues of S Magazine. Available from today, the ninth issue of the magazine presents a further, new feature that showcases professional and contemporary Leica photography. For the first time, S Magazine illustrates the enormous diversity of the platform in a lookbook containing 20 high-end portfolios. In the latest issue, acclaimed photographers and up-and-coming new talents reveal their full photographic and creative potential – with no limitations or specified themes. All works and accompanying film material shown were captured with Leica S-System or SL-System cameras and lenses. In-depth interviews and videos can be found on the website www.s-magazine.photography.
- 12.05.17 Leica Oskar Barnack Award 2017: 2,700 photographers have submitted entries to the prestigious international competition The submission phase for entries for the long-established ‘Leica Oskar Barnack Award’ photographic competition (LOBA) in 2017 has now closed. Now, the international jury of experts is judging the entries received and choosing the twelve finalists in the two categories of the competition, the ‘Leica Oskar Barnack Award’ and the ‘Leica Oskar Barnack Newcomer Award’. This year’s shortlist will be announced on the competition website at www.leica-oskar-barnack-award.com on 20 June 2017.