New improved features
Keep your Leica SL at the cutting edge of the latest technical developments: This firmware update improves the performance of your Leica SL, bringing you numerous new features and enhanced camera handling.
Firmware update 3.1 significantly improves the autofocus performance of the Summilux-SL 50 f/1.4 ASPH. Although its focusing precision has been further increased, the focusing time has been able to be made even shorter.
|Firmware Update 3.1|
|New firmware for Summilux-SL 1:1.4/50 ASPH. is included||• Improved accuracy of the auto focus position
• Improved auto focus speed
|Improve image quality for JPG files||• Over all color balance is improved for JPG files under certain light situations|
DOWNLOAD FIRMWARE UPDATE 3.1
You can quickly and easily download Firmware Update 3.1 for the Leica SL. The instructions provided with the firmware update will guide you safely through the installation process.
Firmware Leica SL (Typ 601) - Vers. 3.1
Installation instructions for the Leica SL (Typ 601) Firmware 3.1
|Firmware Update 1.2|
|Improved handling when using Leica M and R lenses||• When using Leica M and R lenses, the new firmware 1.2 enables the activation of a loupe (magnifying) function with the auto exposure lock button (AE Lock) to allow fast manual focusing.
• The firmware update also guarantees the correct indication of the R-Adapter-M and the R-Lens used in the EXIF data of image files.
|Several fundamental improvements in the picture quality||• Optimisation of picture quality at ISO values from 50 to 400
• Improvements of the viewfinder image
• Greater flexibility when entering Wi-Fi passwords
|The Leica Log Gamma curve (L-Log) for video has been improved||• In addition, the Leica Log Gamma curve (L-Log) for video has been improved to enable its use for in-camera 8-bit recording.
• The reduction of the offset now lets recordings appear considerably darker. Videos recorded with L-Log must be subsequently corrected with a gamma correction in an external video editing programme.
• The use of L-Log enables the greatest possible leeway for post-production colour grading of video recordings.
|Firmware Update 2.0|
|New Top Features||Direct Exposure Compensation
• Enabling exposure compensation via top and rear dials in P, T and A mode.
Additional shutter speeds
• Longer manual shutter speed added (up to 30min)
• New electronic shutter speed added (up to 1/16000sec)
• Higher precision
• Improved tracking
• New AF-steps in setup-menu (1 and 5 steps)
• Improved 1Point AF: 529 AF-Points
|Additional Improvements||• Full support for all Leica Flashes, improved TTL/HSS mode
• DNG only mode: ability to zoom into DNGs
• Improved time code menu options
• Improved power saving during long exposure and interval shots
• Flash exposure compensation added to favorite list and to customized buttons
• List of M- and R-lenses are customizable
• Improved image quality of JPEG files
• Improved white balance
• Noise reduction options added for JPEG files (low, medium, high)
• First letter of file name can be changed
• Improved Auto ISO setting, minimum ISO setting added
• Display Wi-Fi password during input
• Improved focus peaking, option for sensitivity and new icon for live view added
• Title of user profiles may contain up to 10 letters
• Rating is now compatible to Adobe software
• Histogram is transparent
• AF-frame is shown in continuous low and medium speed
• Combining the video format and the resolution in one menu
• Start video recordings with the Leica Remote Control SCL4
• Support added for UHS-2 SD Cards*:
• SANDISK EXTREME PRO UHS2 CLASS3 [16GB] [32GB] [64GB]
• LEXAR PROFESSIONAL 1000x UHS2 CLASS3 [16GB] [32GB] [64GB] [128GB] [256GB]
• LEXAR PROFESSIONAL 2000x UHS2 CLASS3 [32GB] [64GB]
• TOSHIBA EXCERIA PRO CLASS1 [16GB] [32GB] [64GB] [128GB]
• TOSHIBA EXCERIA PRO CLASS3 [16GB] [32GB] [64GB] [128GB]
• TRANSCEND ULTIMATE UHS2 CLASS3 [32GB] [64GB]
|Bug Fixes||• Bug fix for AF filed size: 1 Point in magnified situations
• Fixed several bugs
|Firmware Update 2.1|
|New Top Features||• Support for Leica Image Shuttle 3.4 (MAC)
• Support for Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® Tethered Plug-In 1.1.0 (MAC)
|Improved overall performance||• Overall system stability improvements
• Overall performance improvements
|Bug Fixes||• Bugfix: in some rare cases the lens profile data were missing in the DNGs
• Bugfix: in some rare cases the camera used “P-mode” for M lenses
• several minor bugfixes
|Firmware Update 2.2|
|New Top Features||• Added support for Leica Image Shuttle 3.5 (Windows)
• Improved support for Leica Image Shuttle 3.5 (MAC) and for Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® Tethered Plug-In 1.1.0 (MAC)
• Changed exp. limitation in combination with 6bit coded M-lenses
|Bug Fixes||• Fixed, missing data in EXIF in combination with lens adapters
• Several minor bug fixes
|Firmware Update 3.0|
|Up to 35% faster writing DNG files to SD card||• Optimization of the writing process allows to reduce the time needed for saving DNG files up to
35%. This allows to be quicker ready to continue shooting after a burst session.
|Optimized Autofocus||• MF-/AF-control optimized
• Autofocus reaction time is shortened
• Improved AF tracking of objects with SL lenses
• Improved: zooming while recording video
• Improved: AF field chances while recording video
• Improved: AFc while recoding video
|New firmware for lenses is included||• Improved accuracy of the focus position
• Improved AFc accuracy if an object moves towards the lens
• New firmware for the Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90 f/2.8-4 ASPH.
• New firmware for the APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280 f/2.8-4
|Additional improvements||• Store DNG and JPG on separated SD cards
• Independent exposure control for video and photo mode
• New vide frame rate 24fps for 4k resolution 3840x2160
• White balance 'flash' improved for use with studio flash system's modelling light
• Electronic shutter mode for shutter speeds from 1s - 1/16 000s for silent shutter release (ISO50)
• Exposure preview in M-Mode improved for continuous preview
• Improved usability in play mode when zooming to 1:1 (100%) , location gets stored to easy access
the same location
• Improved flash behaviour for AutoISO setting
• Improved behaviour of flash units in continuous burst shooting mode
|New options for customization||• Swap the dedicated exposure controls of the front and back dial
• Current control setup of the front and back dial is shown on the top display
• Renaming from T-Mode into S-Mode
• New option for AF Tracking "RESET": Start position of the AF tracking is fixed on a specific
location which can be adjusted by the joystick.
• Graphical User Interface of the multi selection and delete functions improved
• AE-/AF-Lock Button can be assigned to magnification for a quick visual check of focus position
• New option to show the focus distance in feet or meter
• Automatic detection of Leica M and Leica R lenses can be turned off
• Video resolution/framerate can be assigned to the personal favorite menu
• User experience increased: the "OK" button on any keyboard input screens is touch sensitive
• Audio in/out levels can be controlled directly by left/right joystick on the histogram screen
• Several minor improvements made on graphical user interface
• New default behaviour: the function "Access menu in EVF" is enabled by default. This function
enables the upper left button while looking through the electronic viewfinder. Either menu access
and quick access to custom functions is available now by default. For users experiencing
accidental presses of the upper left button by their nose - it is recommended to disable this
function in the "Customize Control" menu.
|Bugfixes||• Any shutter speed limitation for any manual focus lens is deactivated
• Improved stability for tethered shooting with Leica Image Shuttle 3.6
• If an USB connection is detected by the camera, the warning of a missing SD card is hidden. This
allows to use Leica Image Shuttle and Adobe® Lightroom® Plugin without an inserted SD card.
• For Leica M and Leica R lenses the real-time display of the established aperture is hidden
|Leica SL APP||• Support for DNG file download
• Shutter release by pressing the volume button
• Vibrate on shutter release
*Leica performs ongoing compatibility tests of the latest cards available in the market. However, due to changes in production and software of the SD cards, Leica can not guarantee 100% compatibility of the recommended cards.